1987 c4

Item Posts    Sort Order

1987 c4

C4JOHNLEAVELL C4JOHNLEAVELL
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/03/13
01:14 PM

my key is stuck in the ignition,,,cranks ,,but it will not return so i can remove the key..i have done all the usual stuff ,,turning the wheel,,,,,checking the shifter for correct position......it also is moving left to right......HELP  

waynep712222 waynep712222
Cross-Fire Crazy | Posts: 35 | Joined: 04/13
06:40 PM

under the console.. and i bet your car is an automatic transmission version.

at the front of the shifter assembly are TWO cables... a THICK one that goes down to the transmission...

and a thin one that goes up to the steering column...

there is an adjustment latch on that cable... let me show you want it looks like..

open the hood... there are 3 cables to the throttle body...  2 to the top... one to the bottom of the throttle lever..  look at the one that goes to the bottom of the throttle body.... on the casing where the bracket that holds the casing.. there is a D shaped metal tap... DO NOT adjust this on the throttle body.. but a similar item on the one under the console shifter plate..

usually these are slightly different.. you get your fingers under the thick area about an inch in front of the shifter...  push up the TABs slightly to raise the upside down U shaped clip... pull the cable casing forward...  while holding it forward... push the clip back down..   you should be able to remove the ignition key at this point...

i will look around for some diagrams.. but mostly you will want to pull the shifter cover and get down infront of the shifter body...  

waynep712222 waynep712222
Cross-Fire Crazy | Posts: 35 | Joined: 04/13
07:16 PM

87 C4 Automaticshifter Zps6c610686

item 21 is the shift interlock cable...

the shift interlock adjustment is directly below the #24.. you can see the adjustment tab sticking up..