C5 failure prone oil pressure sending unit.

Item Posts    Sort Order

C5 failure prone oil pressure sending unit.

abizkit85 abizkit85
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/03/13
11:46 AM

I just read the article by Meggan Bailey ref high oil pressure reading. I am a C5 2004 owner and just so happens I'm reading 127 PSI on my dash alert.
I just happened upon the article, which is usually how that happens, and am going to make the repair myself.
Question: has the sender failed, can i clean the connectors with electrical cleaner and re-install or will i have to purchase a new one. I priced one at Chevy and $85.00 price range.
If it's just dirty, can it be cleaned and reused?

The Bizkit  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 241 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 01/03/13
07:31 PM

i see one at my local AZ for about half that.. made by wells under the duralast label.

the sensor is a PS340..  do verify that this is the proper oil sending unit.. as there are some variations to be found..

the connector is a 417  

i have not seen the article yet...  i hope to dive into it soon... as i see this issue coming up more often...

usually one wire to the sending unit is for the oil pressure switch.. and that connects to the shell of the sending unit.. this gives the gauge or light a way to complete  the circuit...

2 of the wires are usually for the fuel pump power circuit..

but i have not studied the wiring diagrams for the 2004 corvette oil pressure yet...

the slightly earlier LS motors have the oil sending unit on the back top of the block..

LS OIL Pressure Sender

LS OIL Pressuresenderwiring

again... i have not seen the article.. this is info i gathered from years of the earlier models..  on how gm wired the oil pressure switches and the fuel pump power circuits..  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 88 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/05/13
08:48 PM

abizkit85 welcome to Vetteweb.

Because it is an electrical component. I would use very little teflon tape or a sealer on the threads. (UNLESS THE REPLACEMENT COMES WITH A SEALER ON IT). The sensor should have tappered threads. Make sure the sensor is nice and tight BUT not overtightened. You may also have to purchase a special socket to remove and install the sensor. If you go to AZ they should have it. Fire the engine rev it up a few times. Check it for leaks. Grin  Cool

Bob