New guy checking in

Item Posts    Sort Order

New guy checking in

addes426 addes426
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/13/13
11:35 AM

Confused I didn't find any place dedicated to new users so I thought I'd check in here. I just bought my first Vette. I'm a Mopar guy all the way through but I've always wanted a Vette. Hey, it's Americas sports car. Any way, I bought a 90 convertible showing 190K miles. Motor and trans both rebuilt 2 yrs ago, new AC comp, computer, tires, paint, seat covers, and top. It has power sport seats and the Bose stereo system with 6 speakers. It mostly need some TLC and little items fixed, SRS repairs, tilt wheel feels loose, not easy fixes but fixable none the less. I bought it in WS, NC and drove it home to WV, 6hrs. It ran, drove, and handled great! If I can figure out how to attach a pic, I'll post one up. I posted some pics to the readers rides. Not the best but all I have for now.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 241 | Joined: 04/12
02:08 PM

welcome

you can use one of the many free image hosting sites to upload images to store them online.. then paste the links here..   photobucket dot com or imageshack dot com..  there are several more but those work good here..  select the IMG links to copy and paste..

all the magazines on this site also have the readers rides section where you can post your cars images..

http://rides.vetteweb.com/

there are several articles on the  tilt wheel in the various magazines.. i have a few tips.. read on..  

waynep71222 waynep71222
02:30 PM

loose steering column

since all corvettes from 85 to current have some kind of antitheft system.. your comes with VATS... look at your ignition key.. see the black section with the silver spec in the middle. thats a resistor.. one of 15 values..    save your self some TIME... and serious trouble. later on...

stop by a parts store... buy a NEW ignition lock cylinder.. with the VATS system.. it will have an orange harness with white wires sticking out..    take that and your original ignition key...

Vatslockcylinder

hand the locksmith your original VATS ignition key.. it will OHM the resistor.. select a proper value key blank.. but don't have him copy the original cutting on it.. have him copy the NEW ignition key cutting on the blank..      

this allows you to  swap the new vats style ignition lock cylinder in while you have the column torn down and when you are done.. the car will start on the first try... saving you hours of WHY won't my car start....

be sure to ask what the key blank number was.. so you can get copies.. or get several there..

the keys with the new lock do NOT have the resistor.. as there are 15 different blanks to match the cars...

have you done any steering column work before???

the tilt and teloscopic column requires some special tools... but many parts stores have them..

when you get ready to repair it.. post .. or look for links on this thread...

why buy a new ignition lock cylinder.. that car has probably never had it changed.. you have to tear the column this far down to get at the loose bolts.. might as well change it as the wires eventually break leaving you stranded or needing a Vats bypass i can help you with also..

you will also want to change the ignition switch while you have the column down.. as those have issues also...  cheep and you are already in there..  

addes426 addes426
Posted: 02/14/13
07:17 AM

Well, it just so happens that the PO had bought a new switch for the car. I was told it sometimes fails to start but hasn't yet for me. The key looks just like the one that's in service. (Little black do-dad on it) Only one key though, and a reg key for the door. I figured to swap it out when I did the knuckle. There is no slop in the wheel when twisted, only up down or side to side. Like I said, I have a few project ahead of me.
On another note. I tried to attach a link to flickr but the link didn't work. I'll try again. Nope. Might be the computer here at work. I'll try from home.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
11:50 AM

here is an article on the tilt column repair.. but its NOT a teloscopic column ..

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0908_gm_steering_column_repair/viewall.html

there is ONE issue.. but it sounds like you are familiar ... under the steering wheel push up spring is the insulator device.. sort of a cover for the C clip and it has 5 flat feet sticking out to prevent the steering wheel push up spring from contacting the locking plate..   those are easily broken but available from aftermarket suppliers..  

#004 7808385 RETAINER, SNAP RING HORN CNCT CARR
7808385Teloscopicretainer Zps6555bc43

this fits at item 4 below

Steeringcolumteloscopicc4corvette Zps36560f5c

under the horn spring on top of the C clip..

Steering Wheel Horn Corvettec4 Zps055fbb95

i am not saying that this plastic clip will break.. i have just had a bunch of them do exactly that leaving me to glue the parts back together as i usually don't have time to search one out..
during search i saw one supplier had them for about 9 bucks..  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 88 | Joined: 01/12
10:41 PM

addes426 welcome aboard....

Bob  

addes426 addes426
Posted: 02/15/13
08:45 PM

WOW! I'd been looking at this site on break at work. They block so much stuff. This is the first time I looked from my home PC. Great pics, these will help a lot. I also loaded a few pics to readers rides. They don't look great but they're all I have for now.  

lonewolf11 lonewolf11
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 105 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 02/16/13
08:27 AM

Welcome aboard! I see you have met Wayne & Pepsi1. These 2 guys will keep you in the know. They have for me many times. I too loved me some Mopars in the 60's & early 70's. Now that you have your 1st Corvette~ Enjoy! I am on my 3rd Corvette but first since the 1973 Corvette I sold in 1975. Thanks to my wife insisting I get the 1987 I have now & have enjoyed the past 7 years.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

pepsi1 pepsi1
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 88 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 02/16/13
09:38 PM

We try to be a big happy family.
Greg, and Wayne are on the other side of the country from me. I'm a senior I have had a lot of different cars over my many years...LOL...

Bob