Fraud in Vehicle Transactions

Item Posts    Sort Order

Fraud in Vehicle Transactions

David Lanzo David Lanzo
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/10/12
01:09 PM

BEWARE,  Anyone buying an automobile in Arizona!   If you have any legal issues with a transaction, even up to and including fraud, don't expect any help from the State of Arizona or its officials.  I was the victim of fraud in such a transaction and contacted both the attorney general and the district attorney in the county where the transaction took place and was told nothing could be done by both offices.  Since I reside hundreds of miles away, it is impractical for me to take the matter to small claims court or hire a local attorney.  Apparently there is nothing I can do to recoup my losses or at least arrest the person.  David Lanzo, 3385 Main Street, Rangeley, Maine  04970.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 241 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 12/12/12
03:58 AM

arizona... many of these scams are from africa...

did you see this over at one of the classified online..

How to recognize a vehicle scam attempt on ***

Shipping a vehicle to you is suggested by seller
eBay Motors or another intermediary is specified by seller
Payment by Western Union or a money wire is requested
Price is unusually low (fraction of blue book value)
If you see these tell-tale signs, flag ad as "prohibited" and avoid

Offers to ship a vehicle are virtually 100% fraudulent

eBay has no involvment in craigslist for sale ads, and any eBay or similar emails or web pages you receive are fake

Never use Western Union or wire transfer to pay for goods - only a scammer will ask for this, and any funds sent will be lost

Do not buy vehicles sight-unseen, regardless of low price. The vehicle does not exist, and any money you send will be lost.

Stories about divorcees or departing servicemen needing to sell quickly at a low price are generally fraudulent

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is!  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 88 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 12/22/12
08:40 AM

DavidLanzo welcome to Vette:

You know if people think they can make a buck doing it they will do it!!!
  Do you remember when people were having their Vehicle Id's etched into the windows. Maybe the Factories can do something similiar for a small fraction of money.
  Most of us Gear Heads that have been around along time have seen it. We have have invested a lot of time and money in our rides. This Happens too many times.    
  I have a custom and high performance machine shop. I tell my cutomers to etch a reference number, an identifying mark somewhere. I tell them to hide the reference marks. If they can take pictures of all the parts.
  Dave what this not does in-case of a stolen car, but they can make sure they get the correct parts back from us...
  I had this happen to me when I was younger and wasn't informed as we are today. So rather then send my/his crank through the window of his machine shop. I etched numbers into parts. Even if it went to be cleaned.
  People that do these crimes should be put away for along time. I know cars that are in dealerships lots, and then an act of God floods them. The cars are sent out West to be cleaned and prepped then sold as new.
  I live in Mass. In the State of Vermont there is NO Lemon Law. So people buy new cars from the Auto-Malls in Vermont. If they are junk they unload them in Mass. I had a customer that bought a Vega, that was pieced back together and resold as used. There was NO Indication on the Title or the Registration that the Car was actually Junk at one time.
  He showed me where the car had been pieced back together. They sawed the car in half and put it together. I've said enough about these scams.
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Bob  

Robert90 Robert90
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/16/13
01:02 AM

eBay Motors or another intermediary is specified by seller
Payment by Western Union or a money wire is requested
Price is unusually low (fraction of blue book value)