Air conditioning??

Item Posts    Sort Order

Air conditioning??

Burch1971 Burch1971
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/19/12
05:03 PM

My air conditioner worked fine the other day and I think its not working because I was messing around with the codes. Can anyone shed some light on what I need to do for the ac to be coeded back in. Its bloody hot without it

Jason  

Burch1971 Burch1971
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/19/12
05:04 PM

My cars a 2002 C5  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 241 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 09/20/12
07:12 AM

did you disconnect  anything under the hood while working with the codes..  

if you set a code for something.. it may prevent the A/C from coming on...

i have a question that i really have not been able to get answered...  and only if your car has automatic A/C which it probably does...

with the key on.. engine off... your foot off the brake pedal...   on the AC panel...  push and hold the OFF and the warmer buttons at the same time...  it may take 5 or 6 seconds..   if all the panel display segments come on.. let go...  you have activated the display system.. one of the displays.. will now be showing you any of the multitude of codes that have set.....

the warmer button may be an up arrow.. for the passenger side temp control..
caddys and corvettes have shared this neat onboard system for a long time.

post any codes you get...

i have another thing for you to read

click the active posts link above left.. look at the c5 electrical problems help  post that should be just below it..

C5's have an issue along with many other GM cars that the contact surfaces of the ignition switch get carbon build up from making and breaking contact without being wiping contacts. they are not self cleaning contacts.. so you might end up with one of the 6, 7 or 8 individually switched circuits that won't power up each time....

read it.. i have found that you can disconnect the battery and work the switch a hundred times and get rid of some of the carbon issues... restoring it to operation .. but somebody off site figured out and put up a nice post on how to remove the $200+ buck ignition switch.. lay it out and take it apart to clean.. making it work again for just the tear down labor..  mechanics will usually not do this.. they just put new ones.. owners with some mechanical talents and some tools can do this..

think of it this way... what if crumbs fell into your computer keyboard.. prevented the a few of the  buttons from being pushed all the way down.. your computer would not know that you were pushing the key as it had not received the signal...  if the contacts don't close.. because there is carbon on them..  same effect..  the other keys work fine..  just one key does not..  and that.. if  if the correct circuit in the ignition switch .. might leave you very hot under the collar... and else ware also..

post what you find..