86 Corvette brakes

Item Posts    Sort Order

86 Corvette brakes

Cartero Cartero
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 14 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 05/16/12
06:56 PM

I`m working on my wife 86 Vette.Replaced the master cylinder,bleed the brakes but the rear brakes don`t work at all.The front brakes work fine.I think it may be a bad caliper,is there something else i should be looking at? Confused  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 241 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 05/16/12
10:30 PM

there is a HUGE section at autozone in the repair info online on bleeding the C4 brakes..

do you happen to have antilocks on yours??? if so.. research is needed..  i don't recall what year they started antilocks..

if you don't have antilocks.. there is a proportioning valve somewhere in the system.  that you will need to depress the button to get fluid to the rear brakes.. something like this

Combobrakevalve  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 241 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 05/17/12
07:00 AM

this is from several months ago..

you might want to check out this thread from the other corvette magazine forum on this site..

http://forums.corvettefever.com/70/9140067/c4-corvettes/brakes-1990-base-c-4-brakes/index.html

you will find some links to the az brake bleeding pages on this one..  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 88 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 05/19/12
12:09 PM

When all eise fails do it the old school way.

If you can get the car up high enough to get a jack stand at each wheel. You really need to get the wheels and tires off the ground.So you can really see what's going on. Unless you can get it on a drive-on lift.

Starting with the R/Rear caliper (for reference sitting in the driver's seat)open the bleeder,as much as you can without it falling out,and let the brake fluid run until clean brake fluid runs out. Then the L/Rear and the R/Front and the Left/Front...Don't let the master cylinder go empty.If it does you may need to start over.. Be patient..cuz it can take a while this way, but sometime it the best way...

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 88 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 05/19/12
12:18 PM

Cartero:
One thing you may want to check first,it just came to me. Make sure your getting brake fluid at the disturbution block. Check it before and after..

NOTE: Once you do this you will have to bleed the brakes...I would go with the old school method. It works and does take time..

Bob