1987 Convertible Driveline Support

Item Posts    Sort Order

1987 Convertible Driveline Support

87corvette 87corvette
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 171 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 04/16/12
08:36 AM

I'm getting ready to remove the driveline support from my C4 to replace the gasket from the extension housing to the transmission (automatic).  I am at the point of "prying the support from the transmission" (as stated in the shop manual).  Any suggestions?  This is rather tight.  I  can't imagine putting it back in (gasket sealer application)!  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 241 | Joined: 04/12
04:44 PM

lets look at the Torque bar from the rear end to the back of the transmission..

84 96 Corvettedriveshaft

you are going to have to figure a way to get that out of your way..  it keeps the rear end stabilized.. so when you release the bolts.. it can drop down.  go up..   move back or forward..

i have not done this job on a C4..   i have removed the entire torque arm on 3rd generation firebirds and camaros to drop the transmissions..  

so you might end up removing the bar #18 on the diagram.. and then fight it back into place.. when you are done...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 241 | Joined: 04/12
04:48 PM

oh...    there should be 2 bolts through the strut at the back of the transmission

and   2 bolts through the rear end housing..   not just one as is shown in the drawing..  

87corvette 87corvette
06:35 PM

It is out.  You will need to pry the transmission between the driveshaft tunnel and the corner of the transmission pan.  Slide the arm back towards the rear then pull it straight down.  Now you will need to pull down on the front of the arm to twist the rear slightly down.  As you do this, pull the arm forward and it comes out.  I will let you know how it goes back in when I do it.  

87corvette 87corvette
Posted: 04/21/12
11:15 AM

Whew!  Got it back in.  It is a bit of a chore.  A bfh is needed.  

Not sure why, but the manual says to use sealant where the support and trans/diff meet.  I suppose this is for reducing electrolosis between the differing metals??  I also cleaned the bolts and applied anti-sieze.  

Slip the support over the rear first.  Tap it towards the back while holding it so it doesn't twist.  The front will "spring" into position once it is slid back far enough.  Now pry the transmission away from the tunnel to get the support over the tailstock of the transmission.

Next (where I made my mistake by not putting the shaft in now) slip the driveshaft in then push the bolts up through the support linking the transmission to the differential.  You will have to jocky the engine up and down while doing this (I used my ram/powerpuller for this, but a floor jack will work as well).  Use an alignment dowell to help in slipping the bolts in.  Torque the bolts (37 lb/ft front and 59 lb/ft rear).  You will need to put an open end wrench on the nut on top of the support and hold the wrench while torquing.  It is a little tricky but not too much so.

Now finish by installing the driveshaft the rest of the way.

This was a job.  Taking a beer break now while typing.... Grin