99 CORVETTE.. .BATTERY DRAIN BY CLICKING RELAY ?

Item Posts    Sort Order

99 CORVETTE.. .BATTERY DRAIN BY CLICKING RELAY ?

falcon51 falcon51
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 6 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 06/06/10
07:37 PM

MY BATTERY RAN DOWN TO THE POINT THAT THE SOLENOID CHATTERS WHEN YOU TRY TO START THE ENGINE...I DID NOTICE A BUZZING  NOISE ON THE FUSE PANEL UNDER THE PASSENGERS FLOOR AREA...I FOUND THE MICRO RELAY NUMBER 42 MAKING THE NOISE......IT SAYS CTSY LP ...I AM SURE THIS MEANS COURTESY LIGHTS SO I PULLED THE RELAY OUT AND SLOWLY CHARGED MY BATTERY FOR A DAY....THE CAR DID START BUT I CONTINUED TO CHARGE IT WITH A 2 AMP TRICKLE CHARGER....THE CAR SAT FOR APROX 20 HOURS AFTER THE CHARGE AND NOW THE BATTERY  IS DEAD WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH THE NUMBER 42 RELAY  PULLED OUT. ...the car has sat before for a couple weeks with no starting problems.....I WAS THINKING OF BUYING A NEW BATTERY ANYWAYS...ITS A FEW YEARS OLD AND TAKE IT FROM THERE...ANY QUICK FIXES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.   THE CAR HAS APROX 70,000 MILES AND NO SPECIAL UPGRADES...THIS IS MY 5TH VETTE........  YOU CAN SEND REPLIED TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS  FALCON51@COMCAST.NET   THANKS  KEN  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Duntov Incarnate | Posts: 262 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 06/06/10
09:24 PM

roll down the drivers side window...

where is the battery in your car...    with it fully charged..  several hours on a charger at 10 amps.. a 2 amp charger just cannot cut it sometimes..

with one side disconnected...  hook a test light between the terminal you unhooked and the post you disconnected it from..    if the test light comes on..  you have a short..   with the relay unplugged  that you described..   you should be able to open the drivers door..  without turning on the lights.. start pulling fuses one at a time... see if the light goes out..  put it back in the exact same place and try another..

if you have a digital volt meter with a 10 or 15 amp DC setting you can do the same thing...

warning.. do not turn any thing on when using the test light or the amp meter..  you will burn out the internal fuse in the volt meter....  a reading on the amp meter or 0.025 amps is probably ok..  

this is one of the ways to find a short..

most chain auto parts stores charge batteries.. for free.. be sure to clean it in hot water first.. then wipe it dry..  

falcon51 falcon51
I watched Corvette Summer | Posts: 6 | Joined: 07/07
Posted: 06/14/10
06:43 PM

I GOT SOME PRETTY GOOD INFO FOR MY PROBLEM.  Cool  AND IT WORKED...I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW BATTERY AND TIGHTENED THE TERMINALS TO 11 FOOT POUNDS AND THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY.  I GUESS MY BATTERY POST WERE EITHER LOOSE OR THE BATTERY WAS BAD.  ITS STILL STRANGE WHY THIS WOULD CAUSE THE NUMBER 42 [ COURTESY LIGHTS ] RELAY TO CHATTER.  APPARENTLY THERE WAS ENOUGHT POWER STILL IN THE BATTERY TO DO THIS BUT NOT ENOUGH TO START THE CAR.  THANK GOD FOR FORUMS LIKE THIS ONE...YOU PROBABLY SAVED ME A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS BECAUSE I WOULD OF GOTTEN RIPPED OFF AT THE DEALERSHIP.